Human rights activist, Omoyele Sowore has said those who ordered, carried out or supported the massacre of #EndSARS protesters at Lekki tollgate last year should be brought to justice.
Sowore stated this while reacting to the report released by the Lagos State Judicial Panel of Inquiry into the Lekki tollgate shooting of last year.
The panel report, which was presented to the public on Monday confirmed that there was a massacre at the tollgate on October 20, 2020.
The report also listed names of 48 people killed or injured on the night as Nigerian soldiers shot at peaceful protesters.
“At the Lekki Toll Gate, officers of the Nigerian Army shot, injured and killed unarmed helpless and defenseless protesters, without provocation or justification, while they were waving the Nigerian Flag and singing the National Anthem and the manner of assault and killing could in context be described as a massacre,” the report partly reads.
“The Panel also found that the conduct of the Nigerian Army was exacerbated by its refusal to allow ambulances render medical assistance to victims who required such assistance. The Army was also found not to have adhered to its own Rules of Engagement.
“The Panel found that the Nigerian Police Force deployed its officers to the Lekki Toll Gate on the night of the 20th October, 2020 and between that night and the morning of the 21st of October, 2020, its officers shot at, assaulted and battered unarmed protesters, which led to injuries and deaths.”
Sowore in a Twitter post on Tuesday said something must be done about all those involved in the killing of the unarmed #EndSARS protesters.
Something MUST Be Done about the unconscionable acts of those that ORDERED the killings, those that CARRIED out the killings; those that DEFENDED the mass atrocities of the @MBuhari regime against #EndSARS protesters particularly at #Lekkitollgate on October 2020 #Revolutionnow
— Omoyele Sowore (@YeleSowore) November 16, 2021